* Horses are companion animals - in Australia we do not eat our pets
* There is no assurance of Horse Welfare and or the source of these animals sent to slaughter could one be a lost pet?
* Horses do not transport or slaughter well - we have real concerns about the treatment of horses for slaughter in Australia - is cruelty on the menu?
* There is no assurance of the safety of this meat for Human Consumption, have these horses high levels of chemicals in their system still? Any horse owner will advise you the treatments given to horses have to be handled with thick gloves and are very toxic to humans.
* When animals are seen as "food" animals, their welfare over all diminishes. Being denegrated to "live stock" will see Horses in the same sad category of Sheep, who are for example, sent for live export overseas. This as we know it, is a cruel and exploitative industry. How many more animals will go down this road?
* Australia already has a Horse Industry in crisis. We have a drastic OVERSUPPLY of horses as it is, many sent to the dog meat trade, creating a further demand for a "minority" market, will only add to the problem of horses being neglected, mistreated, over bred and over supplied. Speak to any Horse Rescue organisation, or visit any knackery or sale yard - the evidence is overwhelming. We do not need to create any new market for Horse products.
* This sends Australia on a sliding scale where no animal is safe from the menu. If a Korean butcher decides he wants to eat dog, as he does in his culture in his own country which is the argument of Vince Gareffa and others that support the Horse Meat Industry, how will the Government respond?
So what can you do? Some very EASY ways to make a big impact on this issue!
Make your voice heard:
Have a page of our petition signed and post it back. http://nohorsemeat.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/horsemeatpetition.pdf
Support our campaign. Visit our ACTION Page for ways you can help, for a few minutes of your time you can make a difference - as simple as sending an email - to free more horses from the horrors of Horse Slaughter in our country.